Thursday, June 5, 2014

This takes you all kinds of places....

I was thinking last night... I may have misrepresented my reaction to Si's, at the time, possible diagnosis.  Just to be clear.  It was a scary time.  The possible health problems were freaking me out.  All those problems were suggested to us because the nurses had already assumed that Si had Down Syndrome.  I didn't want any one to visit me in the hospital because I didn't have a baby to show them!  That was miserable and lonely.  I HATED that part.  I don't think I'd ever felt that lonely before.  Sitting in the hospital when I'm suppose to have my new baby boy lying beside me but instead just sitting and looking at the walls.  I did let a few close, close friends come.  Betsy spent the night with me and brought my favorite foods every night. :)  I didn't need physical help, but she helped me.  But when it came to actually thinking, "my baby has Down Syndrome"... I was very confused.  I looked at him and the only thing I saw was how much he looked like my 2 year old, Seth... and that his little fingers were really short and he had these funky little monkey toes.   (the toes are my favorite)  I didn't see it otherwise.  I had Rob bring in pictures of Seth so I could compare.  To see if I could tell a difference in Seth, a "typical" baby and Si.  So, I'm embarrassed when I remember talking to the Dr. who delivered Si and telling him that my babies just have almond shaped eyes and my nephew has monkey toes.  Both which are true, but I feel like I was in denial.  As days went on, all of Si's features began to be more noticeable.  By one month, below, he still looks a lot like Lily and Seth, but he also has his "super" features too.



So when I had to deliver the final news about Si to family and friends, it was weird.  Everyone had different reactions.  Rob was really dreading it, because he thought his mom would cry and that my parents would be upset too.  I told him that was ridiculous... I was right, of course. :)  My parents started asking questions and dreaming about what he would be like.  Of course my mom started "lecturing" me on not being easy on him and I couldn't spoil him or underestimate his abilities. (super abilities)  Rob's mom was fine and sent me Noah's website that someone suggested to her.  
Friends were different... I had some tell me they were sorry, some already knew, some let out a "ohhh" (oh no) and some had already been researching DS (loved hearing that).  Betsy had told her friend, who had adopted a baby with DS, and she told me "Joy is so excited for you! She said Congratulations!"  Which was nice but, admittedly, a little weird.  This brings me to what I read on some sort of FB post...  

A woman with a boy with DS talks about how she loves seeing kids and people with DS because it's like a club. :)  This is exactly right.  I look forward, so much, to meeting families like mine.  I saw a family at Academy last week from our Montgomery Down Syndrome Outreach Group and it was so exciting!  I normally only see them 1time a month.  Is this wrong? I sometimes wish a pregnant person has a baby with DS... just because it's so exciting.  I mean with out health problems!  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  But to be able to experience that is more joy than I have ever prayed for.  It was nice to read that post and realize that I'm not a crazy person who stalks families with Down Syndrome... or at least there are other crazies out there that go to special lengths to get in "that line" at the grocery store or follow people around so you can trap them in to talking to you about their kid.  I'm so glad to be a card carrying member of this Super Club.  And I will happily
Congratulate ANY new mom and dad with a baby as sweet as Si who 
happens to have Down Syndrome!

Sorry about my lack of writing abilities.  I write like I talk... and I'm not a 
great conversationalist either.  

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Your writing is beautiful and from the heart! God is so awesome in you and your family! Honesty and transparency about your feelings is so refreshing and will surely help someone else when they find themselves on this same path. Si is a beautiful baby (as are all your children) and his testimony for the power of the Lord is incredible and will continue to become even more "super" as he grows! Blessings to you and yours in the Name of Jesus!

Mom of 4 Maniacs said...

Thanks Teresa! I'm not used to getting comments on here. Kind of Exciting! :)