We were blessed to go to the Near His Heart dinner the other night in Auburn. It is a yearly dinner for families with children with special needs. We had an incredible time and were overwhelmed by the hospitality and love that was displayed by these volunteers. All 4 kids went to their own childcare. I had talked to Ian and lily before hand, like I always do when we go to these events, to remember their manners and to be patient and kind to everyone. They affirmed my request and ran off excitedly. Rob and I attended the dinner and listened to the speaker, who has a son with Down syndrome. I really can't put into words our experience. It was amazing and doubly amazing that Rob only tried to cry 3 times. So after picking the kids up from their 3 hour vbs type experience, we piled in the car and I asked Ian first, "Did you meet any kids with special needs? And tell me about it". He said yes and told about a boy he hung out with and for what I could put together, he was autistic. So Ian had a good time.
Lily was next. She said "Well, I did play with some kids but I don't know what their Special Ability was!" That did it. The show Glee used the phrase "handicapable" and I loved that. But this is it! We now refer to it as "Special Ability" or maybe even "Super Ability" :) Leave it to Lily to teach us again.
Saturday, February 22, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment